Luckyblind's Poker Blog

Random thoughts and reports from a relative Poker newbie.

Name:
Location: Drogheda, Ireland

Green Joker Poker is an online cardroom on the Ipoker network. To see what great offers, promotions and games we have visit www.greenjokerpoker.com

Monday, November 01, 2004

Long shots.

Since my last blog I have had a little time to take in the possibilities that lie ahead after winning a seat in the WPT Event in January. It would be wrong to say it has been a lifetime dream as I only really found out about poker in March. It has however been a long time dream to be rich - as I am sure it is most peoples!

I know that winning this event will need me to have a little bit of luck, but the Moneymaker and Raymer wins show that it can be done. Not that I can compare myself to either player. I am sure they had been playing poker for a lot longer than I have. But I am still in a no lose situation. The worst I can come away with is a cheap luxury holiday for Catherine and I. However, I cannot help but think what a difference winning this would make to our lives. It is also hard for me to write off my own chances . Three times this year I have played in tournaments with some of the top european Pro's and finished 1st and 8th in two of them. I have won tournaments online and live.I have an advantage as I can watch the top players and learn how they play. Nobody knows me, so at least for the first while they will be a bit cautious around me ( hopefully!). I figure that whilst I won't be the best player there, I won't be the worst either.

In reality, from now until the last card is dealt I am going to be living in a state alternating between heaven and hell. At the moment I have have my own business and it pays the rent and a little bit more, It also gives me the freedom to do what I like ( to a degree). I have plans to expand but it would take between 5 and ten years to earn what this tournament paid out to first place last year ($455,000 to Gus Hansen). Yet I have a chance to do it in 5 days.

I am under no illusions that it is a long shot. But how often do long shots come in? How often are you beaten by a 2 or 3 outer on the river? The lottery is 14,000,000 : 1 but invariably someone wins every week. I have seen my home town non league football team, Weymouth, beat Manchester United. Greece won the world cup. I had money on Last Suspect when it won the Grand National at 50:1. I saw Boris Becker win Wimbledon at 17.

My aim : To join that list and be another winning long shot.

If not, a suntan and plenty of weak american beer will have to do!

I am sure my feelings about this will change over the coming weeks and I am going to use this blog to try and make sense of them. Also when I get there I will post updates during the competition. Hopefully you will have a lot of updates!