Luckyblind's Poker Blog

Random thoughts and reports from a relative Poker newbie.

Name:
Location: Drogheda, Ireland

Green Joker Poker is an online cardroom on the Ipoker network. To see what great offers, promotions and games we have visit www.greenjokerpoker.com

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Getting better.

Things have started to improve on the poker front over the last couple of days. Frustrated by cards I decided to go back to the $1.71 challenge and try some STT's. If you have read previous posts you will know that the funds had dropped back down to $30 from a high of $160. 3 STT later and it was back over $100 thanks to 2 firsts and a fourth. The last one was a $15 entry and the cards were acting nicely to me for a change. Going into the last five I was the shortstack and found 10,10 UTG and went All in. I was called in two spots and they both had AK, none of the four remaning A's & K's hit and I tripled up. From then on all my hands held up and it was about 15 hands until I was the victor.

That was Monday night and Tuesday I was unable to get a game in. Last night I was out but logged on at 1am when I arrived home and entered a $30 Pokerstars MTT. There were 500 runners and I noticed fellow blogger Doubleas was playing. Unfortunately I never got to say Hi, as when I found his table he had been crippled when out kicked with Trip Queens and had just exited.

I played a solid tight aggressive game and halfway through I was average in chips. I noticed on my stats at this point I had seen 21% of flops. I had won over 60% of the flops I had seen, nearly all without a showdown. In fact the only one I had lost was when trying to knock out a shortstack who hit a flush on the river to beat my straight.

From here I dropped back slightly when I missed a couple of flops and was set All in both times with no chance I could call, this dropped me back down to 2500 chips and almost half the average. I had had no premium cards up to this point and then the all came in a rush. It started when I was dealt A 10 of hearts two hands in a row. It was getting late and I decided to either get in a winning chip postion or bust out and get some sleep. I raised all in both times and was called both times by small pocket pairs. I made AA first hand and two pair the second and was now up to over 10k. Soon after this was over 20k when I made a bad call after the turn with trip 6's and needed the board to pair to beat a straight. It duly obliged pairing tens on the river. I then had AK 3 times within 4 hands and AA a couple later. I only got action on one of the AK with which I knocked out another small stack, although I showed the AA and another AK which seemed to give the table a lot of respect for all the raises I made afterwards, most went completely unchallenged and I was able to increase my stack steadily without making any hands.

Every time one of my preflop raises's was called, a bet on the flop was usually enough. Looking at my stats I had now won 9/11 showdowns and 22 other pots without a showdown. I took second posistion on the leader board when I picked up a pair of Queens and another lady joined them for afternoon tea on the flop. Some one bet all in for another 15,000 chips with a flush draw, luckily the board paired nines on the turn as the river brought the flush.

Chip leader had 50% more chips than me, 3rd had nearly 50% less so I was feeling confident with 52 left. As the money approached I stole the blinds 4 times in a row and hit over 60,000 of the 750,000 in play. Hardly any of my preflop raise were getting called now, I had been on the same table for most of the tournament. The ones that were were with premium hands and I lost a few races against the shortstacks but all the raising kept my chips level.

Down to the last 18 and I was still second in chips although a lot of the smaller stacks were taking each other out and there was not much in in, there was over 7000 in each pot before the flop, so if a really shortstack won a hand they were right back in it. The player to my right had built a reasonable stack and when he raised my small blind whilst I was sitting on the Cowboys I thought this was my day. When I put him all in I was even more pleased to see he had K10 so I was over 85% to win the hand. Why he was prepared to risk all his chips on such a hand when he was in a good position I don't know, but suffice to say he got lucky with a flush on the river and I was back amongst the pack.

With all the closing in of the field I found myself 13/13 with still 25000 chips, but the blinds were now 3000/6000 with a running ante and I knew I would need to double up soon. When we were down to the last 10 I was still last and UTG I went with a weak Ace and was called by the chip leader ( who was all in as a shortstack many times until the late stages ). He hit a card and I didnt and that was it. Over 3hrs over good play for a measly $165!

I think the key hand was when my Kings were cracked, I had been lucky once earlier so I can't really moan too much. At least if I can get this far through the field in the Bahamas the payout will be a bit better!

Kev and Declan represented the Friday game in the Merrion on Tuesday in the $100 freezeout. Deco just missed the money and Kev made 4th for his 3rd recent cash in the event.
Hopefully I can improve on my third last week in the game tommorrow.