Luckyblind's Poker Blog

Random thoughts and reports from a relative Poker newbie.

Name:
Location: Drogheda, Ireland

Green Joker Poker is an online cardroom on the Ipoker network. To see what great offers, promotions and games we have visit www.greenjokerpoker.com

Monday, February 07, 2005

Quick on the draw

Just back in from playing in a 5 Card draw poker classic in aid of one of the local Gaelic football clubs. These are not something I usually play in and due to the payout of about 33% of the take, they are not something I am going to play in more either. However I was on a freeroll as one of Catherine's friends had won the €100 ticket in a raffle and asked me to play it for him.

Almost 200 people turned up to play and they were paying out €3000 for 1st, €1000 for 2nd, €800 for third and €600 for 4th. 5th-8th got €400 and 9th-14th got €150. This is a total payout of €7900 and entry fees added up to well over €24,000 including rebuys and top ups. However it is for a good cause so no complaints, just not great value for serious players - of which there seemed to be many who play up to 4 of these a week. Would love to see their return on investment figures !

The structure was rather strange as you started with €1000 and a started dealing for 50. The levels went up fairly swiftly and soon we were dealing for 500. Initialy a rebuy got you €1000 but when it got to €500 deals you got €2000. When we reached dealing for €1000 you could add on for €10,000. All rebuys and the top up cost only €10 ! I busted twice just before the top up and rebought as with the top up it levelled everyone out again.

From there I manged to make the final 8 without winning many big pots, but getting enough small ones to survive. I had the second least chips when the final table started and when it was down to 5 I had the smallest stack of monopoly money. On the hand before I had to put my last 60,000 in to deal I opened with 8855x and got 3 callers. I drew nothing extra and a drunk guy opened the betting and the two others folded and my two pair was good. Next hand I got 6644x. It was opened and with the drunk guy calling as well I put the 80,000 in and drew a K which still left me with two pair. The drubk guy opened the betting again after the draw. If I called it would leave me with 70,000 and he had 60,000 left in front of him. He had been unsuccessfully bluffing all night so I put him All in and he called with a pair of Jacks ! That was it as when it gets to 4 players in these events a money count is done and the placings decided. It turned out that i had moved from last to 2nd in two hands and left with a nice €1000 to split with my backer ! Not bad for my first sponsored entry !