Luckyblind's Poker Blog

Random thoughts and reports from a relative Poker newbie.

Name:
Location: Drogheda, Ireland

Green Joker Poker is an online cardroom on the Ipoker network. To see what great offers, promotions and games we have visit www.greenjokerpoker.com

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The way forward

Frustrated at going a dozen or so MTT's in a row without getting a cash, I decided to go back and play a few single table tournamnents. The variance in these is so much smaller than in a multitable. You can have your hand stand up 3 or 4 times in a row in a MTT then get sucked out on by a bigger stack and all your effort is gone. If you get a couple of hands stand up in a STT you are usually the big stack and can take a suck out and still come back. Another factor is also the standard of play in STT can often be excruciatingly terrible, it is often as simple as not playing anything other than big pocket pairs and AK until 5 or 6 players are left as they will knock each other out with their K7 offsuits and Ax's. Usually they are not savvy enough to notice you have not played any hands all tournamnent and will gladly reraise you all in with nothing when you pick up a hand.
I think one of the reasons for this is there are a lot of 'quick fix' players out there who do not have the time for a MT but want to play a little poker every now and again. Anyway I have played 5 STT's this weekend on Pokerstars and Ultimate bet with 2 firsts, 2 seconds and a third which is nice for the bankroll. All the pokerstars ones were $55 normal STT's and the Ultimate Bets were $33,$33 and $44. This equals a profit of $445 which just about covers my MTT losses.
I have found that playing two at time helps with the boredom factor playing these. I wish I had spent the extra couple of hundred euro and got a 19" TFT so I could play 4 without overlap. Some people may be able to multi table with overlap, but I can't !
Still I need a new PC for my new shop, so I may use the 17" one there and get a 19" for home. I am going to try and play more STT's this week instead of MTT's. I would like to be able to play a few hundred and see how I get on but I know I probalbly won't have the patience. A couple of other bloggers namely HectorJelly and PokerNerd seem to be doing well at this.