Luckyblind's Poker Blog

Random thoughts and reports from a relative Poker newbie.

Name:
Location: Drogheda, Ireland

Green Joker Poker is an online cardroom on the Ipoker network. To see what great offers, promotions and games we have visit www.greenjokerpoker.com

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Fitz €50 Double chance

Having played no poker at all, not even online, since last week I ventured down to the Fitzwilliam to have a crack at this little gem of a tournament. Eventuelly 57 runners entered giving a 1st prize of €1170 and €540 for second, Third paid out €350, anthing else was not worth aiming for.

The omens were not good when I lost my initial allocation of chips on the first hand I played. I raised it to 150 with AQs, blinds were 10/25 and there had been a couple of limpers. A lady to my left raised up to 300 and by the time it got back to me all the limpers and the big blind had called so I put in the extra 150 for 'value'. The flop was Ace rag rag and when it was checked to me I bet out 200, a third of my stack committed already now. The lady who re-raised pre-flop folded but the big blind made it 200 more ! Everyone else folded so I flat called. I decided that whatever came on the flop I was checking to see what he did. I figured if he made a bet that was half my stack or more he held a weak Ace and I was moving all in. This is exactly what happened and he reluctantly called with A9 of clubs, the turn had put two clubs on the board. He had 12 outs and one of them, a 9, hit on the river. With my second chance 1500 chips I got up to 2800 at the break without showing a hand.

Just before my table broke after the break I moved up to 3500 when I elimated a shortstack with AK vs KJ. My new table was a minefield. Frank, Norman and Kevin Farrelly were all there and chirping away as usual. Norman losing an all in with AJ vs AQ as I sat down made things worse as shortstacked he would move with anything (and did repeatedly). The first playable hand I fopund was AQ and I raised into Norman's big blind. Normally I would have called when he went all in but something told this was the real deal and I folded after a brief show pause. He proudly flipped over KK so my read was spot on.

I survived 2 or 3 orbits nicking the blinds once or twice and then went on a bit of a rush. First I flopped a set of twos from the big blind against Kevin who had flopped a pair of Aces and I more than doubled up in a five way pot. A couple of hands later I have 7 5 offsuit in the big blind. Blinds now 150/300. Frank is the only caller from the small. The flop comes down A34 and Frank bets 600. Mmmm. I am suspicous as he would normally raise preflop with any ace. I decided to call and bet the turn whatever. The turn was a King and he checked to me so I bet 1300 and he took some time before calling. Before I decided my next move the river came a beautiful 6 to give me the nuts! Frank bet 1500. i took some time before raising to 3500 and he immediately moved all in! It is only afterwards that I am confused because he said he hit a straight with his Q5 and I thought nothing of it as I scooped the pot. He must have been having a Ted Lawson moment - "I have a straight, look 3 4 5 6...Damn".

Then came the icing on the cake. I had raised twice to 700 and had to fold to Kings on this table. Why everybody has to show me their cards I don't know. Anyway I got AA on my next button and raised 700 again. Lady who re-raised me earlier on the other table makes it 2000. I immediately push as I have no read on her play. She calls even quicker with AK? No help for her and she is the only player on the table with more chips than me and I double up to be tournament chip leader. Five minutes previously I had 2500 chips and moving into All in with any Ace territory.

I felt that if I got to the final table with 20,000 chips + I would stand a good chance as my game is best as it starts to get nearer the money. I currently had 25,000 so was in no rush to make rash calls to try and knock out shortstacks. I would just play solid and see where it takes me. As it happened I went completely card dead apart from getting AQ in the small blind when someone moved in for 1400, I called the extra 800 and she hit a 9 for her K9 off to outdraw me. As it turned out the Aces were my last pre-flop all in to hold up. I was favourite in all of them bar one.

I got back up to 28,000 for the final table, bluffing Charlie out of a medium sized pot on the river when a possible flush hit on the final hand before we merged back to the last nine. Maybe this stuck in Charlies head as the first hand we played together on the final table doubled me up.
The pot was 5 way pre-flop for 3500 apiece. Blinds were 800/1500 so it was a goodly size pot. The flop came down K 4 2. I initially thought there were two hearts and when the first two players checked and Charlie bet 3000 I decided to take there and then by raising to 10,000. Everyone else folded but Charlie called after some hesitation. I forget the turn but when I looked back at the flop it was rainbow. This made no obvious draws so I put him on AK at least to call my raise. If he had KK he was getting all my chips. He checked and I moved in for 14500. He called pretty quick with QQ and I now had over 1/3rd of the chips in play.

I was still playing steady and kept my stack constant until I played 88 vs a shortstack's JJ and then got more chips in after a flop of Q 10 3 with two hearts to go with my K J of hearts gave me 18 outs against Q6 but none appeared. I briefly slipped down to 40,000 before getting back up to 60,000 when I made anothe good read. I had K8 and made up the blinds from the small. There was one other caller and the flop came 8 5 6, two clubs. I made an information bet of 5000 and was called by the limper. I had played on his table most of the night and knew he didn't have the straight as he would have moved all in. The turn was another 5 and he called again. I bet 10,000 this time and he called again. The river was a 7 which I thought made him two pair lower than mine. I moved all in, I don't think he would call all the way with a gutshot and anything else he raises me. He folded after a thought showing a seven.

Elvis is more alive than the cards I was dealt until we made three handed play. I had drifted back down to 30,000 and was billy low stack. I doubled through the man whose name I cannot recall, although he reminded me and another player of Peter Roche. I made a small re-raise all in on a flop of 5 3 2 with 10 5 and he missed his straight draw. His bet was too big to have meant anything else and he had steadily been increasing the size of bets, no one has a hand as often as his bets claimed. Michael, Happycamper from boards, knocked him out with A2 vs KQ and I arrived at heads up with a 3:1 chip disadvantage. Blinds were only 2000/4000 and I had 51,000 so I still felt confident. I gathered Michael had not much experience of heads up live play and I certainly took advantage of that.

It took me 10 minutes of chipping away to get the chip lead and when I had 3:1 I called his all in re-raise with A4. He had been at it with 96 but hit a 9 and he won a couple of pots to take a small chip lead. Michael then won a larger pot when he re-raised by 7 high bluff and I was back to square one. This was just after we briefly discussed a deal. At that point I had 85,000 to his 110,000. With blinds at 3000,6000 I would only accept 50:50 but he wanted 9:7 so I refused. I quickly regained the chip lead and when he was down to 50,000 I flopped the second nuts with J8 and Q 10 9. I tentative check and he moved all in. Nice. €1100 euro after tips will help my Vegas fund and Catherines 3 weeks in Irish speaking country for her degree.

All in all a satisfactory nights work and I am glad to be back to winning albeit a small tournie with mixed standards of play. My Antes Up partner Tom Murphy also played but was knocked out before the break - hard luck Tom, one day you will outlast me in a tournament!!!